- While Google & PayPal leave cash on the table in Sub-Saharan Africa, smart ePayment solutions are left up for grabs. In a video interview, Oluniyi David Ajao describes the business opportunity for West Africa. (via @ICT_Works & @niyyie)
- ICT4D.at has complete coverage of the Africa Gathering London daily presentations & aftermath.
- Erik reflects on the question, “When do you need funding?” and offers ideas for timing cash injections via grants, VC and seed capital for startups.
- Subsaharska reports from SF’s AfricaCodeCamp on multilingualism, coworking spaces, tropically tolerant design & more.
- The first complete, free and open map project of Kibera, Nairobi using OpenStreetMap, off-the-shelf GPS units & digitized satellite imagery is underway.
- Global Voices on ICTs and the spread of indigenous knowledge with a related link in comments to Maneno’s Community Content portal.
- A spirited debate in comments to the question, “Can Cape Town become South Africa’s Silicon Valley?” Read Matthew Buckland’s opening speech at the #SiliconCape event at Camps Bay.
- HelixWind begins trials in the US and Nigeria of their new vertical wind turbines, which are intended to power out-of-the-way cell phone towers.